Originally published in the Chillicothe Gazette, February 9, 2020
This February, Love Your Library!
Winter is cold and dark, and you don’t want to leave the house. We get it. This February, we want to give you a reason to come to the library and explore all the things we have to offer. Our new winter reading program is Love Your Library (LYL) and we hope you’ll do just that.
The Details: We’re challenging you to do five library-related activities this month. It’s quick and easy to set up an account at www.crcpl/org/LYL to log your activities.
- Browse New Items tab or Kids Zone in the online catalog. Want to be among the first to check out new items? We generally have new books and movies ready to go out on their release day. Our copies go first to CRCPL patrons who have reserved them, then to fill requests from other libraries, and may not make it to the shelves for several weeks or even months after they’re released. The best way to get those items fast is to keep an eye on the “New Items” tabs in our online catalog, and place holds on new items as soon as they appear in the catalog.
- Re-read a book you love. Think about a book that really made an impression on you, or was just plain fun to read. Whether it’s a favorite picture book, a novel, or a work of non-fiction, re-read a book you love. You might be surprised to see something you missed the first time!
- Attend any library program.Each of our 9 locations around the county host events for various ages every month. We’ve added a few extra events this month for LYL, so there’s something for everyone. Check out our events page at www.crcpl.org/events for the full list. As always, let us know if you have an idea for a future event!
- Check out a book from a library display. As you browse the books and movies at your local branch, have a look at the displays. The local staff selects items to display each month. These might be books that are currently popular at that location, seasonal books – like slow-cooker cookbooks in the winter – or books related to an upcoming event. They’re meant to be checked out, so grab a few on your next visit!
- Recommend a book or movie you love to a friend. Sharing a book or movie you love with friends is fun and fulfilling. If you choose well, and they like the book or movie, that gives you a good feeling. You also have someone to talk to about the story, and you can experience it in a new way.
What you can win: Everyone who logs all five LYL activities will receive a special library heart squishy. You’ll also be entered into a drawing for a winter reading prize pack full of library goodies. One prize pack will be awarded in each age group: children, teens, and adults.
For more information go to, crcpl.org/LYL
Liz Gibbons-Camp is the Adult Services Coordinator and Ruby Smart is the Youth Services Manager for the Chillicothe and Ross County Public Library. Liz and Ruby are currently enrolled in the Master of Science in Information Sciences program through Clarion University of Pennsylvania.